Have something great to share with Borrowed & Bleu? Read on!
What we’re looking for
We love detail-centric, unique weddings; they might feature DIY and handmade elements, unusual venues, or vintage style… whatever it may be, creativity and lots of details are a must!
We also gladly accept styled and inspiration shoots and other wedding-related events.
We only accept a very small quantity of engagement sessions with the aforementioned unique qualities.
Please note: Effective January 2014, we are limiting features to no more than 2 per year for photographers who aren’t members of our vendor guide. We love featuring our members’ work and promoting them, so please consider joining us!
How to submit
We take copyright and intellectual property very seriously, so at this time we only accept submissions directly from photographers. If you are another vendor or a bride, please ask your photographer to submit instead.
Borrowed & Bleu is an exclusive editorial partner with Two Bright Lights, and we recommend using the service to streamline your submission process.
However, if you’re not a Two Bright Lights member, you can use our submission form below.
What to include in your submission
- Please include a paragraph describing how the wedding/event is a fit for Borrowed & Bleu’s audience – what makes it unique? Is it DIY, handmade, vintage, offbeat, alternative, etc.?
- Images must be at minimum 1000 pixels wide and 300dpi.
- Please submit 75-100 carefully curated images for styled shoots and weddings (fewer is okay for engagements and other sessions).
- Detail shots are a must!
- Event must be from within the last 18 months.
- Please do not submit collage images or watermarked images.
- We need a complete vendor list! Borrowed & Bleu is not responsible for any inaccuracies or omissions in features that result from incomplete vendor lists.
All submissions are considered for publication in the Borrowed & Bleu blog or the digital magazine. If we choose to feature your submission in the magazine, we will require higher resolution photos, a complete vendor list and additional details.
How to Create the Perfect Submission for Borrowed & Bleu
We carefully review every submission that comes through, but unfortunately some just aren’t a fit for our audience or the submission doesn’t contain the information we need to publish it. Here are some best practices for creating an ideal submission for B&B and getting your work published!
- First and foremost, follow our submission guidelines! You can use Two Bright Lights or our direct submission form. We ask that you use either of these tools to help us streamline the review process. If you simply send us an email saying, “Hey, check out this cool wedding!” we don’t have time to review it. If we had more hours in a day, it might be possible, but until we no longer need to sleep, please use the form or Two Bright Lights!
- Include ALL of the vendor information and web links. We want everyone to get their due credit for producing a lovely event, so please do it! Good karma will come your way.
- Details. Details. Details. We can’t stress this enough. If we’re going to accept your submission, we need to know about the event! It can be from you, the bride or the event planner, just include information about the inspiration behind the day, the special or meaningful details, the DIY (if any), etc. The more the better.
- Even though B&B isn’t a regional blog, please include the event location – city and state! International is cool, too – just give us the details. That’s an easy one, eh?
- Follow our image specs. All images need to be at least 1000 pixels across (whether portrait or landscape). No watermarks, pretty please. Also, please don’t send both a black and white version and color version of each photo. That’s overkill.
- Curate! Please don’t include every photo you took. It’s important that you select the best images – those that tell the story of the day, highlight the details, showcase the emotions, etc. Generally speaking, we DON’T want the following image types: reception dancing, photo booth shots, toasts & speeches, getting ready, etc. A few here and there are fine, but let’s mostly keep it limited to the ceremony, portraits and reception details. Although they may be fabulous, our readers don’t want to see photos of Aunt Mildred doing the Electric Slide. The hallmark of a successful submission is a thoughtful selection of images. If you send us 4 versions of the same pose, and we need a magnifying glass to tell the difference between them, chances are we’re not going to publish your submission. We realize this takes more work prior to submitting, but it’ll pay off in the end, promise!
- We still accept engagement submissions, but due to the volume we receive, we’re not accepting nearly as many as we used to. We give preference on engagement submissions to our vendor guide members, but if you have a truly unique, outstanding session, don’t be afraid to send it our way!
- Lastly, please adhere to our exclusivity policy! Every blog has a slightly different view on this, so take a moment to familiarize yourself with ours. You can do so here on the photo submissions page.
Thanks so much for sharing your work with Borrowed & Bleu – we look forward to seeing your best!
Borrowed & Bleu only accepts exclusive submissions. What does exclusivity mean?
Please note: Every submission is reviewed by a single person, so please be patient! Response time is about 2-4 weeks. We’re currently booking about 6 to 8 months out.
What Does Exclusivity Mean?
Thank you for your interest in sharing your work with Borrowed & Bleu! We are an exclusive publication. Many wedding vendors might wonder what that means – read on to find out!
Here at Borrowed & Bleu, we only accept submissions that haven’t been featured elsewhere. The sole exception is a small preview on your own photography/vendor blog.
When you submit to Borrowed & Bleu, we ask that you do not submit anywhere else until you hear from us. We make every effort to review all submissions within 30 days, so please don’t submit or publish anywhere else until those 30 days have elapsed.
After your feature is published on Borrowed & Bleu, we ask that you wait 6 months before publishing on any other sites.
If you don’t follow our exclusivity policy, chances are we won’t be publishing your work in the future. Please play by the rules so we don’t have to be the bad cops – we really don’t like it!
By submitting to Borrowed & Bleu, you agree to honor this exclusivity policy:
- This submission has not been submitted for publication or been published anywhere else online (with the sole exception of a small preview – not all of the images – on your own photography blog).
- If you do not receive an approval notice within 30 days of submission, you may certainly submit the session to other publications.
- However, during the 30-day review period, you may not submit or publish this session on other online publications.
- If your submission is accepted for publication on Borrowed & Bleu, you may not submit it for features on other blogs or websites until 3 months after the feature date.
- Failure to adhere to Borrowed & Bleu’s exclusivity policy may result in rejection of future submissions.
Why Do We Require Exclusivity?
In the internet age, brides are inundated with inspiration and ideas for their weddings! We believe there are more than enough wonderfully beautiful weddings to go around, so we want brides to see fresh new ideas on our site!
Get to know the style of the blogs you’re thinking about submitting to – those that truly fit the style and vision of your submission – and then only submit when it feels like a perfect match. We believe there’s a blog out there for every type of submission. We strive to offer our B&B brides inspiring, one-of-a-kind weddings.
Still have questions? Contact us!